Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Un notte pazzo

My very quiet evening of writing in the cafe ended very badly. I left the cafe around 1 am feeling very complete with the work I did. On my way walking home I ran into Pasquale, who I haven't seen since that night at the American Bar. I was first happy to see him because now I can walk with someone. Sorrento is a very sleepy place, there is rarely any crime but as a single woman in a foreign country I still would like to be accompanied by someone. Pasquale is pretty fluent in english, thank god cause at this time of night I really don't have the brain compacity to try to conversate in Italian. About half way through our short walk, Pasquale asks again if I would like to stop for a drink. I tell him no, I'm tired. Then he asks if I want to get a bottle of wine and chat at my house.... these italian men never stop. I tell him no again. He seems to finally understand. Then he asks me about Fabio and how is it dating him. Great, I'm now known as Fabio's girl. I tell him that Fabio and I are just friends, I'm on vacation in italy, I have no interest in having a boyfriend while I am here. For some reason he takes that as an invitation and kisses my arm. Not hand, but arm. I pull away and tell him that's no appropriate. He backs off.

At this point, I am over the agressiveness of the Italian men. Why can't I just walk down the street, have a conversation with someone without a man trying to take it to another level? It was first flattering being seen as exotic and admired by the italian men but now it's getting offensive and too much for me to handle. There is now more people at the school so I plan to spend less time with these "suitors" and start establishing relationships with the other travelers.

When I get to my door, I pull out my keys. They are not in their usual spot so I dig and dig through my bag.... I have freakin forgotten my keys inside. It's now after 1 in the morning and the only way for me to even attempt to get in the house is to walk through the completely dark garden and knock on the main door. My mind starts to race and I imagine me fumbling through the garden waking up the sleeping family. Pepe, the father wakes up from the noise comes outside with his gun, and with my broken italian and him not understanding a word of english, he doesn't understand it's me and he shoots me. I'm dead in Italy and my mom is pissed off at me for being so irresponsable. So, I stay away from trying to get to the main door. As a last resort, I text message Pina to see if she is up and there is no reply. Great, I have no place to stay tonight. I think about calling Fabio, but I decide against staying with a man that I barely know who will most likely try to molest me through the evening. So I travel down the road to the closet hotel and decide to just get a room. I stop at Hotel Leone and the man at the front desk is terrified of me, he doesn't want me to stay there and options that I should go to the nearest hostel. I tell him I am staying here and I can offord it. I pull out my credit card... Where is my credit card!! I spill out my purse on his counter and I'm starting to cry, WHY? WHY?? IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME!!! I run out of the hotel as fast as I can to the cafe I was just at and pray to god over and over again that my credit card is still there. Sure enough, it's there and no one has taken it. The waiter even apologizes for allowing me to leave without it. So I walk back to Hotel Leone and this time the scared man refuses to answer the door for me. Swear to God, he thinks Im crazy and pose some type of danger. Not too sure if this is racism or he's just put off by the fact that Im completely emotional at two in the morning looking for a room. So I walk looking for another hotel. Sorrento is not like Los Angeles, the majority of the hotels actually close their doors at night. The only hotel I find open is Hotel Antichue Mura. It's a beautiful hotel that sits off the lake near Piazza Tasso. Alesandro, is at the front desk and gives me a room for $150 dollars, this is a discount he says. At this point, it's my safety or my money. I go for the safety. Of course only in my life the only open hotel is the expensive one. Granted, $150 is moderate, and thank god I have the money. I enter the most beautiful room and place my butt to sleep only to wake up in 5 hours and return back to my house. I walk into my room, there on my little table sits my keys. For this moment on, I hold them dearly as if my life depends on it.

No comments: