Tuesday, May 15, 2007

As we get deeper into the italian language my once upon a time love has turned into dispise and hate. Italian is like Spanish and has a masculine and feminine form for its words. Like spanish but more complex, there are articles listed for every sentence depending on the verb as well as the noun. For instance, you can't say simply "I'm going to the store" The verb "To go" is ANDARE so to say I go it is "Vado" ( the fact that andare and Vado looking nothing alike is a whole nother problem). so store means "Negzio" and it is a masculine word so you must keep this in mind to figure out the correct article with negzio. So the correct translation is " Io
vado al negezio", you use al because negzio is masculine, if negzio was feminine you would use "alla". Now, when you want to specifically say what store it gets even trickier. Eventhough clothes mean "vistiti" in italian, the clothing store means " Il negzio di abbigliamento" and if the specific store name had anything to do with a name, like the store Tilly's, you wouldn't use "al" as the article you would use "da". Now da can't be used for "taco bell" because "taco bell" isn't a specific name dealing with a person. It gets more complicated... you don't eat breakfast you make breakfast, and you dont wear a clothing size, you take a clothing size. Although Mangare means to eat, both dinner and lunch have thier own verbs so you must use Cenare or Panzare if you want to say you eat dinner or lunch. All of this you must remember and use as well as just deal with memorizing what each word means in a new language! Now that's a whole different issue as well because many words have multiple translations in italian. To say "but" you can use "ma" or "pero" and to say "too much money" you say " e molto caro troppo" eventhough money translates to "denaro" or " soldi"..... Extremely complicated.... Today I literally had to walk out of class for awhile because my head just couldn't take it. And it make it even worse one of my teachers doesn't speak a word of english so often she will translate an italian word to english and we will find out days later she gave us the wrong meaning. For instance, she said "simpatico" means funny, so after telling a man he was "molta simpatico"I later find out from locals that I was telling him he is "very nice".

As I get deeper in the language I am realizing the whole time I am thinking Im talking good italian, people are just putting together my messed up verbige and tenses and figuring out what I am saying without me really speaking correctly. This is why my italian mother screams at me " Parla Italiano" when I am speaking Italian!! My four hours of class have been so exhausting I dont even try anymore. There are days where Im so frustrated I don't even care to speak italian anymore and just speak in english. Europeans in total pretty much are fluent in multiple languages and most of them speak english. Its sad but if I really wanted to, I dont even have to go a day speaking italian. A week ago, I would tell people in the stores and restaurants after they greeted me in english, " Io studio parla intaliano, parli italiano per favore". Today, I can careless about the continuation with my studies and just ask for a pizza please.

They say there is an age bracket where you can easily learn another language, I am sure I have missed it. My favorite thing is to watch the young kids speak italian. Their little raspy voices full of some much emotion make me watch to scream "I want to sound like that!" Even with the most nasty sentences, italians cant help but woo you with thier romantic words.

Im not going to give up, one day ( far far far away from today) I too will sound romantic even when I shout" Hurry! Pass me the toilet paper". Now I am determined, I am an educated woman with a college degree! I too must speak italian!

No comments: