Thursday, May 3, 2007

"Negro Boobs"

Let me introduce you to Daniele, my first and really only friend (if that's what you call someone you know for two days) in Sorrento. I met Daniele on the train to Sorrento from Naples. Daniele, a short confident man with very curly hair approached me on the train speaking Italian. I simply told him I don't speak english, which did not stop him from talking to me, Daniele speaks pretty good english. He owns a bar in Sorrento that is catered towards American and English customers cause the "pound is strong". He pretty much spotted me as a foreigner which he will never admit. Daniele made sure I got off at the right stop and even allowed me to call my temporary family from his cell phone...what a gentleman. We exchanged numbers and the next morning Daniele texted me "good morning" asking if I needed anything. It's a nice feeling knowing that I know someone in this foreign place but even in the beginning I'm a lil suspicious of Mr. Daniele. I don't find him harmful. Far from scary but there is something about him... who can he be so nice and accomedating but no nothing about me. Nothing about me at all. I just don't trust that. The more time I spead with Daniele I realize that he is infatuated with America and if he can get there any way possible he would. So he tries to make sure I have a beautiful time in Sorrento in hopes I will one day to the same for him in Los Angeles. I caught on to his game quick. Now, this doesn't mean Daniele can't be my tour guide, I just need to stay game to the fact Mr. Daniele got an alterer motive.

The next day I meet Daniele in the Piazza Tazzo. When we meet in the square, Daniele notices alot of commotion, I don't really notice anything but the tons of people that have been in Sorrento since I've been here. Daniele is on alert and immediately crosses a police tape and asks me to come with him. What? but then I notice others are doing the same thing. Italians are damn curious, the police tape does not stop them. So I follow Daniele and a couple other bratty kids towards the commotion and right there in front of me is a body bag. So close I don't know what to do. I'm even afraid to pull out my camera. In less then two hours ago, three people were killed while walking through the small piazza. Above them where men doing some construction work, the small "balcony" the workers were in literally broke and fell on top of these people, a man, his grandmother, and his daughter in law. The police finally take notice of all the people near the body and demand we move away. Again, I just follow Daniele, cause I can't understand what everyone is saying.

Americans are nosy but the italians take it to another level. If there is an accident on the freeway, we all have been guilty of slowing down and trying to get a good look but the italians actually park thier car, get out and hang out the police man until the body is moved. I swear I sat out there with Daniele and now his brother, his brother's friend and his girlfriend for about an hour and half, just looking at a body bag and a whole bunch of police man. It was like we were just sitting there, waiting for something to happen. The busy american in me just takes off and finds something better to do.

Two days later, the crime scene is still marked off and the broken construction vehicle has not been moved. People are still walking around in a fog, the fact that someone has passed away is devasting to the people of Sorrento.

Last night I hung out with Daniele and his friends in his "american bar". I have been trying to stay away from this place hoping to find out where the locals hang out but I've given up realizing that Sorrento is a sleepy town, the people here really don't do much but eat and drink and that's about it. It's a quiet night so it's just me, Daniele and his staff; Franceso who is in love with japan and is going to study there, Michael the perverted dj, and Fabio, the sweet and akward real gentleman of the group. A couple people come in and out but it's just mainly us. The boys learn I am from Los Angeles and immediately they want to talk about entertainment. Michael tells me how much he loves " dark women" and that "dark women are a level above italian women.Flattering, I go with it. Then Michael asks me if I know "Negro Boobs". His friends laugh and then hit him, telling him to be quiet. Michael has obviously said something to me he should not have. So I ask him what the hell is this "Negro Boobs"? In his best version of english he asks me about the "hot mamas in music videos, negro boobs". Do I know "Negro Boobs". This is my worst nightmare. I have been arguing with my friends in music videos about this and to tell you the truth I'm disgusted that I am right. I knew it, as much as black women are now being glorified for our beauty and bodies, we are being striped away from any class or prestige. This man and his friends have coined a term for these "sexy dark ladies" and they want to know if I dance like these "Negro boobs". Do I have moves like them? Do I have body like them? Honestly, I try not to get mad at them because they really don't know better and they are not asking me in any derogative way they are honestly curious, they fantasize about these women and want to know if they are real and I am the closest version to what they watch all day on TV.

I tell them that not all black women are like that. That many of us are not wild and dance like that. Many of us go to school, make lots of money and dream about having children and having a family. I tell them that I am one of these women, though I can be "Negro Boobs" but I choose not to. I choose to be known for what I can accomplish and be celebrated for my words and my actions, not just shaking my ass. This is what I always feared, around the world men are watching these music videos and saying "I want a black woman like that". They don't fantasize about Oprah Winfrey, Iman,Tyra Banks, or Halle Berry! They fantasize about these women that they see on the music videos who have no name, no voice, no thoughts, just body, just "negro boobs". Michael then asks me if one of my parents are white because I have good brown skin. I tell him that both of my parents are black, he seems a little surprised. Michael is a sweet man but misguided by what he thinks America is. I watch them get excited when Justin Timberlake plays, I listen as they refer to Jennifer Lopez, and ask me about Brad Pitt and here is when it dawns on me that not only America, but Los Angeles, has soo much power in this world. What happens in the entertainment industry, whatever is created in this hub, affects the world! These men from this small town in Italy is affected by what they see and hear from Los Angeles just like that small young boy who dances like Beyonce on the internet. Being from Los Angeles, it is here in Italy that I finally really realize the power of the entertainment industry and the lack of responsiblity we have. I don't really think people can understand this power until they travel out of the country. I'm walking down the street and I hear Robin Thicke's "Lost Without You"! It's interesting enough that italy has it's own superstars and musicans but they never acquire the fame or international success stars from the united states reach.

The boys start to get a lil wild and the alochol begins to set in. Pasquele, the new arrival who promises to take me out Friday to a beach bar on his scooter, ask me if I want to get a bottle of wine and go back to my place. I calmly tell him no, I don't know him and this american girl is not like what you see on tv or experience in your "american bar". You need to do alot more work with this American Black Girl then teach me italian, i have to know you alot more then a couple hours and you got alot more hurdles to get through before even being invited back to my place. Pasquele simply shakes his head yes and smokes his cigarette.

2 comments:

P said...

Oh my- well, what can I say about Negro Boobs that hasn't been said already??- I'm speechless.

BTW, here's a link to the accident you came across: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/01/europe/EU-GEN-Italy-Work-Deaths.php

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness... Negro Boobs.. see I am always arguing that is how the world see's black women. that's sucks!!!