Monday, May 7, 2007

Im gonna get myself into trouble... and that might not be a bad thing....

The other day, I took a walk up Via Del Capo. It was a little bit of a hike but I enjoyed it. This street, where most of the expensive hotels are, has the most amazing views of the coast of Sorrento. I stopped at a beautiful hotel, Minerva, to ask about the rooms. If I come back to Sorrento, I'm staying here! The conseirge (forgive me for the mispellings, can't really do spell check on a italian computer) Nello speaks good english and he saves me from my broken italian. Nello asks me if I would like to have coffee sometime so he can help me with my italian. I have quickly learned this is the italian man's safe way to asking you out on date. Nello is fairly good looking but I am attracted to him because he seemed intelligent and worldly.

The next night I met him for a drink. Nello is the most interesting person I have met in Sorrento. He is a hunter, a classical ballroom dancer, and a masseuse. He speaks italian, duetsh, and english, and he has worked in the hotel business for 9 years. He has spent years both working in Positano and Capri and would like to take me to both. He's a pure gentleman. Nello takes me to a small bar in Piazzo San Franceso because he knows that I am intersted in being with italians then the tourists. Then he takes me to a small pizzeria, which he believes has the best pizza in Sorrento. It's fun because this place is the late night spot full of young italians. I don't see one tourist. I'm happy.

During our date, we walk through Piazza Tasso a couple times and we pass the American Bar where Fabio works. Each time we walk through the square, Fabio is standing outside. I had saw him earlier and told him I was having dinner with the girl I was living with, so I'm caught in a little lie but I just wave as if I have nothing to be guilty about. Nello walks me home and we make plans for him to take me to Positano on Wednesday.

The next day, I met Fabio early evening for a drink. Fabio takes me to the exact same bar that Nello took me the previous evening. The waiter recognizes me and smiles. Fabio asks me if I would like to go to Positano the next day. He will pick me up at school, have lunch and spend the day there. What am I suppose to say? I can't tell him that I have plans with Nello for Wednesday? I can't lie and say I am going with friends... he knows I really don't have friends in Sorrento... So I do the only thing I know I can do and say yes... let's go to Positano. So now I am going to Positano twice for the very first time! Positano is a smaller town then Sorrento, I just hope the waiters don't recognize me each time I go. There ain't too many American Black Girl's in this area...

No comments: