Thursday, May 17, 2007

If you are a freguent reader of my blog then today is a celebration for us all.... THE COMPUTER HAS ARRIVED!! YEAH!!! The italians are not horrible after all! It's funny after I decided to let go of my frustration and just deal with what I have here, the bag arrives. Maybe I should persue many of my passions the same exact way :) Im still at school at the moment but sometime later today or tomorrow I plan to start posting pictures : )

I use to think if I could eat ice cream and cheese all day without getting fat I would easily do it. I love cheese and I love ice cream, throw in a couple pieces of italian bread and I am happy. So I expected to be in heaven living in Italy. Im so afraid to actually make this public but I MISS VEGETABLES!!! Italians use vegetables in thier dishes but I can't find a great plate of sauteed vegtables anywhere! A big huge salad doesn't exist. Im hungry for it... its like my body needs it! If I get another sandwhich I think Im going to burst!!

My normal diet here is pretty much like a regular italian, toast or crossiant for breakfast with butter, jam and coffee. Then for lunch I find a cheap sandwhich place and have a moderate size sandwhich with cheese, tomato and my choice of meat. Then demending on the day, I really dont each much for dinner, most nights I am soo full from the bread overload I skip the meal. Then there are the nights I am hungry and actually go out to dinner. That ususally consists of a pasta dish with plenty of sauce and cheese or an amazing pizza. Now the pizza that they give you in these restaurants are not just a small lil microwavable thing they give you in the states, this thing can be eaten easily by four people, and the fact that you are in italy, eating the type of food that you will never be able to get in the united states keeps you eating beyond full. It's like an open bar, the fact that it's free makes you come back for more, who knows when you will have another chance to have free alcohol. Francos, on corsa italia, is the place to go. They have amazing pizza that you can actually buy just a slice of. Most places in Sorrento you can't just buy a slice and you can get a huge pizza for a moderate price. You know a place is good if it's freguent by the locals and both times I have been to Francos, I have seen a table of old ladies sharing a try together.

Now that's just the food I am talking about. For some reason, because I am actually not working, I am literally drinking everyday, all day. I haven't really been drunk in Sorrento but I have a glass of wine at lunch, then if I go to dinner I have one or two at dinner and then I have another glass of wine in the bar or cafe or I will have my favorite part of southern italy Fragolino.... which is a strawberry digestive that taste like a strawberry brandy. And then there are the nights with Fabio... I tend to drink a little bit more when I am with him only because he is so sweet and nice to me and the more alcohol I have the more I forget that Im actually not attracted to him. Sad but true, any girl nows that alcohol can make anyone diserable.

So take the crazy amount of bread, cheese and wine, and then add to it that there is a gelato store on literally every corner. Within five minutes there is a huge cone of ice cream in front of you and if you are already a ice creamaholic like I am, in a place like this will power quickly dissolves. I have to say though, I dont each gelato as much as I thought, I probably get an ice cream twice a week. This I think is amazing here in Italy but according to my diet in Los Angeles, my body doesn't see that much ice cream.

Now my savior has been the fact that I walk about an average of an hour a day and take spinning class three times a week. So Im thinking I get to come home with nice toned legs and not even an ounce of extra weight.

I don't know how the italian women do it. How can you not be obese with a diet of pasta, bread, and cheese? Now, the italians are not necassarily small people but there are is a good amount of average size people here. I think the key is moderation. Especially in Sorrento, the only cuisine is Italian. There are no mexican restaurants, greek stands, or sushi places. Just italian. As great as the food is, there really isn't much of an option. Of course they don't know any different but just spending a few weeks here I am thankful for being raised in a place that offers me multiple cusines. Sorrento, is a small country-esqe place, I am sure Naples which is only about an hour away offers a little bit more.

The italian women carry thier weight alot different then american women. Of course this really depends on how your body is made but regardless of the woman's shape, the majority of italian women, big or small, have a tummy. It can be the oddest thing, a small sized woman with nice legs and a pretty face can carry a tire around her waist! And she will wear a tight shirt not aware that maybe she could be offending someone. This is everywhere in Sorrento, and because of the type of food these people eat, Im think it's fair to assume it's everywhere in Italy. Now the bigger the city it is the more vain they are. Overall, Sorrento is in the low grade when it comes to obsessing about your looks.

Because of all of this, I am able to be proud in my bathing suit. The size that I am currently, I don't think I would go near a public pool but here I'm pretty confident. The stomach I carry aint nothing like what some of these women have and although they don't carry hips like mine, most men here are more then happy to watch me leave a room. The first day I decided to lay out by the pool, I was little hesitant to take my dress of but did it anyways. The cute waiter asked me how long I was planning to stay in Sorrento and then found whatever reason he could to come back to my chair. An old man in the apartment building next to the pool stayed on his balcony for the complete 3 hours I was there. Every once in awhile when he thought he was in my view he would wave. At first it grossed me out, doesnt he got something else to do then gawk at me? And then I realized, I still got it! I got enough to make him sit out there for hours! It's hilarious what will make a woman feel good about herself.

So the fact that I am a lil over the food, hopefully I feel a lil less inclined to spend money :) I havent bought a thing here so the amount of my money goes to food. It's funny I am complaining now about italian food but I bet my first night at Dominico's I will be wishing I was back in Italy.

No comments: