Sunday, May 20, 2007

KAAA--Pre



My expectations of Capri was nothing like I experienced. Everyone who spoke about the Italian island spoke with so much love and admiration so I knew it was going to be a good time but within the first 30 minutes I was on the island I fell in love more then I have with anyother place I have visited. There is this magical air that takes you when you arrive. I know that sounds silly but it is soo true, I can't tell exactly what it is but there is nothing like this place and everyone in life must experience it.

On this island is where all the beautiful italians live. Women in thier late 50 with the body of a early 20 year old, Older men dressed head to toe just to go to the corner store and kids in sun glasses and matching outfits. Everyone is tan, gorgeaous eyes and happy with lots of money. Aside from the gorgeaous people the island itself is breathtaking. With all the gorgeaous rock cliffs and the turqoise blue water there is just nothing like this. On this island you can do the most exquisate shopping that is mostly only found in a big city, eat the most amazing italian food, explore wild life that is only found in the most rural places and then party your ass off at night or stay in the most tranquil place that you can't hear a thing. This place has it all....

I picked good time to go to Capri. In May the high season is just beginning to start so all the stores and bars are open but the price is half of what you will pay during high time and there is a moderate amount of people there but far from being overcrowed. I came with my friend Rasheedah from back home and her could Soldanah who actually lives in Venice with her italian husband and speaks fluent italian.

As soon as we got there we took a walk through an amazing garden that had breathtaking views of the coast and the Fragolini rocks. Then we walked through the narrow streets and found part of the island where all the local live. We went to dinner at Da Palolino, which all the locals continued to tell us was the best food on the island. We sat and ate dinner in a lemon garden among tables of the famous locals. The food was beyond amazing and of the most fresh food. Sorrento has nothing on Capri. This place although expensive it was so worth it. I couldnt imagine experiencing the island with out this place. We ate pasta, swordfish, and buffalo mozzarella and at the end of the dinner they gave us a glass of lemoncello on the house.

Just like Sorrento, the taxi's are crazy expensive, for a 5 minute drive they try to get you for $20 euros. Thank god I had a fluent italian speaker with me because she often bargined on the price, we would pay less then most locals but still was expensive. We went over to Aneme e Core, the nightclub that all travel books and locals recommend. I think we all expected to find a loud disco with young people but instead we walked into this Tavern where a singer sung folky italian music. The place was full of young and old and everyone stood on top of thier tables dancing and singing at the top of their lungs. I've seen nothing like this! The energy is fun and soo expressive. Within minutes all of us were clapping our hands and jumping to the music. Before I knew it a man came and grabbed my hand and took me up on stage!! I was dancing with the singer and musicans again in that yellow dress!! ( Thank you Rachel Pally)

Immediately when I entered the place I saw gorgeaous older man with dark skin curly blonde hair and blue eyes. He was dressed in a nice button up, nice blazer, and great fitting worn jeans. Giampero continued to make sure I was having a good time in the bar, he was a local and was just hanging out by himself that night. Soon Rasheedah and Soldanah were tired and wanted to go back to the room. Both of them are married with kids... so I stayed with my new friend Giampero.





After Aneme e Core Giampero took me to his hotel. Yes, his hotel.... him and his family own a gorgeous hotel on the island called San Felice. Just like most italian men, Giampero is extremely romantic and suggested we get a bottle of champagne and listen to italian music by the pool : ) He told me about his life on Capri and for ten years he spent every winter in New York working in Italian restaurants. He speaks great english, as he told me " You are so sweet, you are going to make me Diabetic". As I went back to my hotel, Giampero asked me to come back to the island on tuesday on his day off so he can take me out on the boat.

The next day we rented a small boat and took a tour of the island with these two cute italian boys as our tour guides, Fabio and Salvadorian. This was the best way to see the island. We spent two hours on a boat and we saw everything this island has to offer. We saw the goats where the island got it's name from, the amazing blue grotto which will take your breath away, as well as the green and white grotto and drove through the Fragolini rocks. We just layed out of the boat and just took in the air while the boys played a Buddha Bar cd. No wonder celebrites continue to spend thier hard earn money here... this is what life is suppose to offer.





Needless to say, none of us were ready to leave but this place is so expensive, any regular working citizen cant spend more then a couple days here without spending your life earning away. I dream about my next time in Capri.....Oh wait... that's only a few days away!!