Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reasons that I could never live in Italy

I always fantasized about living in Italy and now that I have been here for about a month there are things that I enjoy and appreciate about the United States:

MORE THEN JUST ITALIAN FOOD
Even in the most metropolitian cities here in Italy, the majority of the restaurants are Italian. Eventhough I love Italian food I am happy to say that I live in an area where you are given multiple international foods. The idea that people don't have the option of eating indian, thai, chinese, japanese, greek, soul food, or peruvian on any given day is beyond me. I am thankful for Los Angeles's eclectic area and choice when it comes to food. Im a foodie, I can't help it.

SIESTA

Why the hell do the stores clothes from 1 to 5? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially during 1 to 5, I have been completely conditioned to get the majority of my errands or whatever I need to get done during this time! Italians work 8 hour days, 9 to 1 and then from 4 to 8. In a way this is does seem more pratical because Americans work 12 hour days but all I can think about is all the work that is not getting done! Literally everyone goes home during this time. You can't go to the grocery store, or the bank, literally during this time the only thing that is open is the restaurant and of course the millions of ice cream shops.

DRYER ANYONE?
Like all the famous photos, Italians line dry thier clothes. It's glamourous but I can't help but perfer what a towel feels like after being in the dryer then being line dryed for awhile. Ladies, imagine, you can't just throw your jeans in the dryer for a couple minutes to get that much need tight feel. You can't find your favorite shirt and possibly wear it that evening. One of my teachers is wearing the same outfit she wore yesterday, I'm assuming her recent load of clothes didn't dry in time.

I'M THE ONLY ONE
Literally there are not enough black people in this area. I don't remember what it felt like when I was in Rome but here in Sorrento and also in Capri, they are in pure shock to see me. I don't know if I will ever get use to the stares of curiousity or literally being the "only one".

INDEPENDENCE?
It's wierd, the women here are raised with a sense of independence, they learn how to clean, are presured to go to college and even are given the oppurtunity to live on thier own. On the other hand, the men are catered to by thier mothers. Most of them do not lift a finger when it comes to cleaning. I know most americans think it is the same in the United States, but the fact that your boyfriend knows how to do his own laundry is way beyond what Italian men are taught. The majority of them do not leave thier home until they get married. So it is more normal to find a man in his thirties still living with his mother then the opposite.

ONE STOP SHOPPING
Imagine a life without Target, Wal Mart or Save on. Literally, you have to go to the grocery store for your groceries, then go to another store for your office needs, go to another store for your toilitries, stop somewhere else if you need to fix anything in the house, and another store if you need to buy electronics. AND to all this before 1 or after 5. Luckily I haven't really LIVED here to have to do all that shopping but I definitely have a better appreciation for the local drug store.

Don't get me wrong, I love my trip, I love Italy, and if I could stay longer I would gladily do it. I could definitely live here for a couple years but I don't know if Italy could ever be my premenant residence ( I can see my mother smiling now). As much as I love the "Dolce Vita" persona of southern italy, it's hard for me to comprehend that a person is not defined by thier work. What do you mean you are going to be a bartender forever? Who is to say what way of living is better, or if one stop shopping is more convienent, but I have to say as much as I have learned being American. Yes, I said it... I am American.

No comments: